Monday, June 23, 2008

Attractiveness Bias

You see this all the time in advertisement. A pretty, skinny lady is going to sell more bottled water than an over weight unattractive lady. A buff man is going to see a gym membership easier than a man with a potbelly. You even notice good looking people in TV ads and print when the product has nothing to do with exercise or fitness.

I found it very fascinating that babies looked longer at attractive people regardless of their gender, age and race. Though I do question the theory of "Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder". I wonder how this comes into play in the Attractiveness Bias. Who's idea of attractiveness are we talking about?

1 comment:

Juli said...

Speaking of your review on attractiveness ...
I do not know why I was born with the ability to see beauty in all people. I mean, I find something attractive about anyone and anything I see. I can find fault sometimes, but I tend to find something cute with everyone I meet, and I wondered about the baby thing too, like how can that be?
Juli